Milestones in the company's history
The company was founded in Ulm, Germany in 1912 by Heinrich C. Ulrich. From the start, the focus was on the manufacture and sales of surgical instruments. An orthopedic and surgical workshop was attached to the company. In 1914 the first ulrich instrument, the Möltgen-style goniometer was introduced to the market.
The founder's son Max Ulrich joined the family company in 1925. As his father's successor, he expanded the company, achieving worldwide sales.
In 1967 Heinrich Ulrich joined the company.
In 1975 a production plant was opened in Blaustein-Herrlingen near Ulm.
In addition to the development and manufacture of surgical instruments, the company began producing spinal implants and instrumentation in 1978.
In 1984 the well-known USIS spinal instrumentation (Zielke VDS) was successfully launched on the market.
The first injector for computer tomography was developed in 1985.
The company Heinrich C. Ulrich KG was converted to ulrich GmbH & Co. KG in 1997, with four corporate divisions: Medical technology, medical and health care supplies, rehabilitation technology and physicians' and physician assistants' supplies.
In 2000, the company was restructured. The medical and health care supply division at Muensterplatz 15, 89073 Ulm, as well as the rehabilitation technology and physicians' and assistants' supply divisions were sold. ulrich GmbH & Co. KG focused on the sale of medical technological devices developed and manufactured in-house.
Since June 2004 Klaus Kiesel, like the owner Heinrich Ulrich, has been a managing director of the company.
Since August 2005, the trademark was changed from ulrich Medizintechnik into ulrich medical. The legal form of the ulrich GmbH & Co. KG remains unchanged. The company's renaming underscored its international orientation.
In order to further enhance the success of the business, ulrich medical® founded the subsidiary ulrich medical USA in 2006; it is located in St. Louis, Missouri.
ulrich medical® sets its course for expansion and enlarges its plant in Ulm. With the completion of the new buildings for production and offices all corporate divisions benefit from the short routes and the contemporary, communicative architecture.
As of May 2007, the management of ulrich medical® has two additional authorized signatories: Mrs. Susanne Biesenberger, director of the business unit Injectors CT/MRI, and Christoph Ulrich, director of the business unit Spinal Systems, have been granted sole power of attorney. Together with Klaus Kiesel, CEO of the ulrich GmbH & Co. KG, they will form a triumvirate to guide the company’s fortunes in the future.
After more than 42 years of entrepreneurial activity and at the age of 65 our senior partner Heinrich Ulrich hands over the management of the company to his son Christoph Ulrich.
With the 4th generation now in top management, Christoph Ulrich, acting as managing partner and shareholder, will share the duties and responsibilities with CEO Klaus Kiesel. Thus, as an independent family-owned enterprise, ulrich medical® ensures that it will stay the innovative and consistent partner for customers, suppliers and employees for many years to come.
ulrich medical® celebrates its 100th anniversary.
„Faszination Medizintechnik“ – that’s the slogan for the anniversary year. For 100 years the company focusses its knowledge and competence in medical technology. With business partners and employees the centenary will be celebrated in May.
ulrich medical® proudly looks back on its history. The close ties to medical technology and innovative strength formed the solid foundation for the company’s present standing and its consistent development. The family-owned company will go further on this path.
Heinrich C. Ulrich